NEBOSH: Most Commonly Asked Questions

Nebosh By Andy Taylor

When it comes to courses and qualifications for health and safety at work, it doesn’t get much better than NEBOSH. The National Examination Board of Safety and Health offer a range of accredited courses which will give you a certificate or qualification as well as a thorough knowledge of what you need to know about the area covered in the course.

NEBOSH qualifications are suitable for anyone who has a responsibility for health and safety at work, or even just people with an interest in it. This means that it can help employers, managers, supervisors, people who work in health and safety, and unions.

NEBOSH have a range of courses, ranging from beginners’ health and safety certificates, such as the National General Certificate, to industry-specific courses. There are a number of questions that are commonly asked about NEBOSH courses, and here are some of them – and their answers.

How long does it take to get a NEBOSH qualification?

The short answer is that it depends on the course, and it depends on you. However, as a general rule, a certificate would normally take about 2 weeks full time, or 3 months on a ‘day-release’ basis.

A diploma would usually take between about 9 and 36 months (depending on where you are learning and how quickly you want to get through it).

The hours that you would use up to get a qualification would be made up of both lesson time and home study time.

Is there any financial help available for adult NEBOSH learners?

At the moment, NEBOSH learners over the age of 19 are not eligible for financial help through the ESFA, although it is worth checking your national or regional careers services. If you are employed it is worth discussing funding with your employer.

What health and safety construction NEBOSH courses are available?

Health and safety in construction is very important, and NEBOSH offers two courses which will teach you everything that you need to know.

The NEBOSH National Construction Certificate is designed for managers, supervisors or worker representatives who work in the construction industry and the course covers the management of health and safety, more specific learning about managing and controlling hazards in the construction industry and construction health and safety practical application.

They also offer a Fast Track to National Construction Certificate qualification to those who already have completed the NEBOSH National General Certificate in the last five years.

If I already have a NEBOSH National General Certificate what courses can I now do?

By having the NEBOSH National General Certificate, you will already have a good basis to build on. If you already have this certificate, there are number of courses which are now open to you. These include:

  • The NEBOSH National Construction Certificate fast-track for those who are interested in or work in the construction industry.
  • The NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety builds on the knowledge that you already have after studying for the certificate. It is a great option for people who are looking to start a career in health and safety and can push you on towards industry accreditations and even letters after your name.
  • The NEBOSH Oil and Gas Certificate is one of their sector-specific supplements and is specially designed for people who have health and safety responsibilities in the gas and oil industry.

What’s the difference between the National General Certificate and the International General Certificate?

NEBOSH offers both a National and International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety. Both courses are very similar, focusing on the general health and safety issues, effective risk management and practical application skills. The International certificate, however, also covers international health and safety issues and standards.

Can I apply for IOSH with a NEBOSH qualification?

If you are looking to apply for the Graduate membership of IOSH and work towards becoming a chartered member (CMIOSH) you will need to have a NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety. This qualification builds on what you have learned at the certificate level and will also allow you to apply for the International Institute of Risk Management.

Passing the NEBOSH National Diploma will enable you to add the letters MIIRSM after your name.

If you are looking for a good quality health and safety qualification for the workplace, or just to learn more about it then look no further than a NEBOSH course. With so many options open to you – both industry-specific and non-industry specific, there is sure to be a course that will suit your specific needs.

Related Articles

Page Loading