NVQ Level 5
- City & Guilds
An alternative approach to tutored courses which we provide for individual candidates or in-house training.
The City & Guilds Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice is an established qualification for those who are working in the area of health and safety. The qualification is suitable for people from all sectors of work and ideal if you are responsible for developing and applying health and safety procedures day-to-day in your or someone else’s organisation.
- A globally recognised qualification
- Equivalent to the NEBOSH Diploma
- Convenient distant learning, no need to take time off work
- Gives you credit for your skills
There are eleven mandatory units in the City & Guilds Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice. To obtain Graduate Membership of IOSH, you will need to complete an additional unit – Professional development and ethics in health and safety management.
You will need to demonstrate knowledge and competence in all the following mandatory units to gain the qualification:
- Develop and implement effective communication systems for health and safety information
- Promote a positive health and safety culture
- Develop and maintain individual and organisational competence in health and safety matters
- Control health and safety risks
- Develop and implement proactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- Develop and implement reactive monitoring systems for health and safety
- Develop and implement health and safety emergency response systems and procedures
- Develop and implement health and safety review systems
- Develop and implement a health and safety audit
- Behavioural safety in the workplace
- Develop and implement the health and safety policy
- Professional development and ethics in health and safety management
The time it takes to complete the Level 5 NVQ Diploma will depend on your experience, the work you have done and evidence you already have. You can go at a pace that suits your abilities and commitments. The typical completion time is 6 – 12 months. The time you take will depend on the amount of time you can assign to completing the qualification when balanced with your other commitments.
There are no examinations with this qualification and it is therefore not possible to fail, candidates are either “competent” or “not yet competent”. Assessment of performance is made by consideration of the results of work-based activities to meet each unit’s assessment criteria.
You will produce a personal portfolio demonstrating understanding and application of skills to meet the assessment criteria. You will present your evidence to your assessor during planned assessment periods. If you select our online option you can submit evidence of the work you have done to meet the criteria through our e-portfolio system. Your assessor will determine the extent to which your evidence confirms completion of the assessment criteria. Feedback is provided and work to meet the criteria can be re-submitted until completion. The administration team monitor your progress to offer support and guidance throughout the qualification.
As an alternative to a paper-based portfolio, our e-portfolio system allows you to provide evidence from anywhere at anytime, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Using our e-portfolio means secure storage of evidence with no bulky paper-based portfolios to manage, store or send through the post. Our e-portfolio system enables clear and easy communication between you and your assessor.
Depending on your location, it may be necessary to make additional charges to carry out a mandatory (new City & Guilds requirements for this qualification) workplace observation and assessment of evidence.
The City & Guilds Level 5 NVQ Diploma, with the addition of the professional development and ethics unit, is recognised as meeting the requirements for Graduate membership (Grad IOSH) of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH – www.iosh.co.uk), providing a progression path to Chartered membership of IOSH (CMIOSH). It is also accepted by the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management ((IIRSM – www.iirsm.org) as meeting the academic requirements for full membership (MIIRSM).
The tutor was very funny, personable, knowledgable and made it a fun and interesting course.
The venue was handy and central, the course layout was good and the communication from ACT was excellent.
All in all, a great course