NVQ Level 3 – Certificate
- City & Guilds
National Vocational Qualifications are a great alternative to tutor led classroom courses and e-learning.
The City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety Practice is an established qualification for those who are working in the area of health and safety. The qualification is suitable for people from all sectors of work and ideal if you are responsible for developing and applying health and safety procedures day-to-day in your or someone else’s organisation.
Why do an NVQ?
- Equivalent to the NEBOSH General Certificate
- Work based assessments means less time off work
- Gives you credit for your skills
- Apply the knowledge to your job as you learn
- Can potentially be payed for with funding from external bodies
- You cannot fail an NVQ, your work can be improved and re-submitted
The City & Guilds Level 3 NVQ Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety is a credit based qualification structure. This means that learners work towards completing modules to gain credits, to achieve a total of 31 credits.
There are a number of mandatory units that will need to be completed to obtain a total of 23 credits from the mandatory section of the course content. There is then a further minimum of 8 credits from the optional units. This means that all learners on this course must take a minimum of 7 units. The number of credits is indicative of the size of the unit and award.
- Ensure responsibilities for actions to reduce risks to health and safety (4 credits)
- Develop procedures to safely control work operations (4 credits)
- Monitor procedures to safely control work operations (5 credits)
- Promote a culture of health and safety in the workplace (4 credits)
- Conduct a health and safety risk assessment of the workplace (6 credits)
- Investigate and evaluate health and safety incidents and complaints in the workplace (5 credits)
- Make sure actions in the workplace aim to protect the environment (4 credits)
- Review health and safety procedures in the workplace (4 credits)
- Supervise the health, safety and welfare of a learner in the workplace (4 credits)
The time it takes to complete the Level 3 NVQ Certificate will depend on your experience, the work you have done and evidence you already have. You can go at a pace that suits your abilities and commitments. The typical completion time is 3 – 6 months. The time you take will depend on the amount of time you can assign to completing the qualification when balanced with your other commitments.
There are no examinations with this qualification and it is therefore not possible to fail, candidates are either “competent” or “not yet competent”. Assessment of performance in each unit is made by taking into consideration the results of work-based activities and whether they meet each unit’s assessment criteria.
You will produce a personal portfolio demonstrating understanding and application of skills to meet the assessment criteria. You will present your evidence to your assessor during planned assessment periods. If you select our online option you can submit evidence of the work you have done to meet the criteria through our e-portfolio system. Your assessor will determine the extent to which your evidence confirms completion of the assessment criteria. Feedback is provided and work to meet the criteria can be re-submitted until completion. The administration team monitor your progress to offer support and guidance throughout the qualification.
As an alternative to a paper-based portfolio, our e-portfolio system allows you to provide evidence from anywhere at anytime, 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Using our e-portfolio means secure storage of evidence with no bulky paper-based portfolios to manage, store or send through the post. Our e-portfolio system enables clear and easy communication between you and your assessor.