For people who are concerned about health and safety in the workplace, NEBOSH qualifications are extremely important. Whether you are a business owner, manager, supervisor or want to have a career in health and safety itself, NEBOSH (National Examination Board of Occupational Safety and Health) courses will give you all the skills and knowledge that you need to comply with the law, progress your career, or keep people and possessions as safe as possible at work.
Ensuring that staff and visitors are safe in the workplace is a fundamental ground stone in a fair society and the need for health and safety experts is the key to ensuring that. NEBOSH courses provide all of this knowledge, allowing people to work in safety and businesses to prosper.
NEBOSH offers a number of different occupational health and safety courses, for differing levels and covering a range of different areas and niches, and according to NEBOSH, over 50,000 people take their qualifications each year.
There are four types of NEBOSH qualifications:
- Awards – suitable for complete beginners who need a good awareness of health and safety in the workplace
- Certificates – ideal for business owners, managers and supervisors who need a solid base to build their health and safety knowledge on, as well as great for those who are starting a career in health and safety
- Diplomas – professional level qualifications which are ideal for those making a career in health and safety and people who are responsible for health and safety in a business
- Masters – which are open to NEBOSH diploma holders who want to extend their knowledge further
Some of the NEBOSH Awards that are available include:
- NEBOSH Environmental Awareness at Work Award – covering issues regarding the global environment, including pollution and sustainability, environmental management systems, environmental noise, waste management and dealing with environmental emergencies, and is designed for all employees.
- NEBOSH Award in Health and Safety at Work – covering the principals of health and safety and the identification and management of risks and is aimed at all employees who need a basic understanding of health and safety.
Some of the NEBOSH Certificates available include:
- NEBOSH National General Certificate – covering in detail the main legal health and safety requirements in the UK, identification and control of hazards in the workplace, management of risks and practical application in the workplace. It is designed for anyone with health and safety responsibilities at work and is the first step towards higher health and safety qualifications.
- NEBOSH National Construction Certificate – which covers the main legal health and safety requirements on a construction site in the UK, including the identification and control of hazards on construction sites as well as its practical application. It is aimed at any managers and supervisors of companies who work in construction, utilities, property management, civil engineering, for example.
- NEBOSH National Fire Certificate – covering the identification and control of fire hazards at work, causes and prevention of fire, health and safety of staff and visitors in the event of fire, safety risk assessment and the practicalities of the application of the above. The course is designed for fire risk assessors, managers and supervisors.
- NEBOSH National Health and Wellbeing Certificate – covering the legal requirements related to health on work and vice versa, attendance management, mental health, the management of people with musculoskeletal disorders and the promotion and support of good health in the workplace. The course is designed for managers and supervisors, HR personnel and anyone else who is looking for a better understanding of occupational health and well-being.
- NEBOSH International Oil and Gas Certificate – which covers the management of international oil and gas health and safety and is suitable for those who already have the knowledge and have studied other NEBOSH certificates. It is aimed at those who work in the gas and oil sector and who already have the NEBOSH National or International General Certificate.
Some of the NEBOSH Diplomas which are available include:
- NEBOSH National Diploma – a globally recognised qualification for those who have completed the NEBOSH General Certificate. The course includes managing health and safety and its application, hazardous substances and agents and workplace and work equipment safety. It is aimed at those who are looking for a career in health and safety.
- NEBOSH International Diploma – covers the same areas as the NEBOSH National Diploma but aimed at those who wish to be recognised as a professional anywhere in the world. It is designed for those who have already completed the NEBOSH International General Certificate.
Studying a NEBOSH course is a great way to kick-off or advance a career in health and safety, or to give you the knowledge and skills that are important to keep your employees and staff safe at work. With a range of different courses, there is a substantial opportunity to be able to learn exactly what you need and what is relevant to your specific business.