Health and Safety Awareness (HSA) Labourer’s Card

Construction By Matthew Coombes

If you’re going to be working on site as a labourer in the UK, the chances are that you have heard of the term CSCS. On most sites it is a requirement that you hold the correct CSCS card for the work that you will be doing, in the case of labourers, that is the green card.

So what is a CSCS card?

The Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) cards are designed to be a method of ensuring that everyone that enters a construction site is competent enough in health and safety to not pose a direct risk to themselves and people around them. There are different cards for different roles within the construction industry that require completing and evidencing different training. The cards are designed to be an assurance that everyone is at an agreed standard of health and safety competence, this helps to reduce the likelihood of incidents and accidents on site. In the case of the labourer’s card this is an assurance that the person holding the card has an awareness of health and safety and it’s basics.

To get a green card you must complete two elements in any order, the Health, Safety and Environmental (HS&E) touch screen test and an awareness course like our CITB Health and Safety Awareness course (HSA).

Our Health and Safety awareness course is a 1 day classroom course held at our offices in Stourbridge. It is accredited by CITB and is designed to highlight the following:

  • Individual responsibilities.
  • Fire risk assessments.
  • Fire safety
  • Preventing accidents.
  • Manual handling.
  • What are employer’s duties.
  • What they should do if they think health and safety is being put at risk.

If you would like any further information about our course please feel free to get in touch.

Once you have successfully completed our course and the HS&E test you will need to contact CITB to receive your card.

The card is then valid for 5 years, when the 5 years has run out the card will need to be renewed. As different roles require different qualifications and skills, there is a variety of different cards to cover different jobs in the industry. As such the labourer’s card can be upgraded as you progress.

For more information on the process of applying for the CSCS card after completion check out this link to information provided by CSCS.

The requirements of the course:
The course requires that you have a good understanding of spoken and written English.
You need to provide a valid form of photographic ID on the day or you will not be admitted to the course.

  • Passport
  • Photo card driving license
  • Work ID card with picture of delegate
  • EU Country ID card
  • CITB scheme card
  • Student ID Card

It is possible for under 18’s to take the Health and Safety Awareness course, providing parental consent is gained, to find out more please get in touch with our team.

Related Articles

Page Loading

We now accept Klarna as a payment method. You will see this as an available option at checkout when completing the purchase. Dismiss